Sunday, June 29, 2014

Where I have been for the last two years...

I began this blog a few months before I accepted a principal position at my school. The past two years have been exciting at times, exhausting at times, and quite the experience. When my director had offered me the administrative position, I said that I would give it two years and then decide if I would like to go back to the classroom. This past year had been quite reflective for me, I found myself missing the my creative moments in the classroom and the personal relationships I was able to form with my students. During my observations of my teachers, I found myself missing the fun, learning moments with my students and the opportunity to get excited about learning with the kids. Over the last 4 months, I would go to bed and tell myself that I just couldn't find myself doing this job in the next 5 years. These thoughts were very real to me and I knew that if I was going to go back to the classroom, this was the time to do it.

I spoke to my director who offered my the position about my thoughts about administration and my urge to go back the classroom. He said, "Well, you said you would give it two years. Now is the time to go back." For people the know me really well, I love the mountains. I am an avid skier and I go out west 1-2 times a year. My director knew my love for the mountains and I told him this might be the time for me to go. He encouraged me to make the leap 'cause I only live once. I applied to about 10 Colorado districts and within two weeks I received 9 calls for interviews and had a job. Wow! It all happened so fast and can't believe that I am planning to move out to Colorado for the 2014-15 school year. I will be working as a 6th grade teacher just outside of Denver and will be able to ski in less than one hour. I am thrilled to fulfill two of my passions, working with kids and skiing. This change is scary, but the timing seems right and know that it will be the right thing for me to do.

My ultimate goal is to share my journey through this blog and document what I love to do for myself and with others. I know that going back to the classroom will keep me busy and blogging will need to be something that I schedule in my calendar so that I can keep my posts meaningful and timely. I have already began planning and reviewing my new curriculum maps (my new district has amazing resources) and look forward to sharing my adventure with you all! 

No comments: